RAID-3? (was: cvs commit: src MAINTAINERS)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 21 01:33:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 05:58:38PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
+> So these are two disks + parity, right?  That's not exactly a typical
+> setup.

Yes.

+> > RAID5:
+>
+> What was the RAID-5 stripe size?

256kB.

+> > As you can see RAID5 is only faster in READ tests for 15 and 100 processes
+> > working in parallel. As I can see, RAID3 is faster in all the rest tests.
+>
+> I don't really see enough to convince me either way.  If you use small
+> RAID-5 stripes, then yes, it's possible to get better performance from
+> RAID-3.  I'd also suggest that your figures would look very different
+> with five or nine disks.  It would also be interested to see the
+> results of rawio on these configurations, and also the relative
+> performance of a single disk.

Ok, wait for my reading optimization results:)

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl