Performance Problems.. Server hardware smoked by $500 box?

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Thu Sep 11 13:35:18 PDT 2003

> > Hrmmm....   I wonder if 5.0-R is faster than 4-STABLE?
>
> The question is really, is it faster than 4.8-S AND 5.1-C. That was
> the reason we updated the production machine to 5.1 from 4.8... To
> determine if that was a factor at all. I was hoping that 5.X was
> just *that much faster* but it would appear that it's not the case
> unless 5.0-R is *that much faster* than 5.1-C.

Post your kernel configs, or better yet, do a diff -u between the
5.0-R and the 5.1-C kernel configs.  I bet dime to dollar you've got
some debugging options enabled in the 5.1-C config.  At the very least
you haven't remove the debugging options from your malloc options.

> I too have had a periodic problem with auto negotiation on Cisco
> gear. I wish it was something simple like that here but it'd appear
> that we're all synced up just fine.

If you weren't sync'ed, you'd be getting about 10-20Kbps, not 87Mbps:
your network gear isn't the issue, neither is DNS.  -RELEASE has all
debugging opts turned off, where as -CURRENT has them enabled.  4.*
should be faster than 5.x for the time being, but as locking work
continues, that gap should get smaller and smaller.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden