FreeBSD data size tuning

TEC Meganet tec at mega.net.br
Fri Nov 21 01:52:44 PST 2003

Hi
if you had 4.8 before and the problem didnt exist then may be you should
downgrade. It seems there is a memory issue in 4.9 where they adapted 5.x things
to 4.9 and this stuff is still in development. I have a lot of this machines and
neevr had such a message. The BSd people suggest not using 4.9 in production
servers.

may be you could check your squid.conf memory settings also.

averall I do not know if you use the right configuration here. If you have 1GB of
RAM and using 2500MB of swap on ide disk, I dont know ... Any swap use makes your
machine slow, if you really need 2500MB of swap with 1GB of RAM you must have a
haevy cache server. With 1GB of RAM you should be able to run squid without any
swapuse at all and when squid starts using swap you should put more RAM in it our
downsize squid.conf memory settings

the sysctl settings here I believe that if youre not running a parent cache the
increased udp settings do not make so much sense

Setting max files do the 65535 and maxperproc makes sense only if you have another
heavy file eater running, but if you have a squid server set both values closer
together

my experience that you can set cache_mem to best fit at 25% of your RAM, so I
believe 256 or 196 should be good for 1GB of RAM