freebsd-performance Digest, Vol 3, Issue

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Mon May 5 07:31:08 PDT 2003

Artem Tepponen wrote:
> > Old People.
> >
> > It's the same reason that people think 8% of a 120GB hard drive
> > is "a lot of space" and refuse to set their free reserve on their
> > FS's high enough to avoid fragmentation.
>
> Should they be asking 'Why FS design is so flawed
> that it has this requirement' instead?

Not really.  They should be asking "Why do I think this is an
abnormal amount of overhead compared to, say, the second of the
two journal files NT maintains?".

> Is there any working FS for FreeBSD that does not have this requirement?

There are several, including a number of Linux-originated ones;
however, lacking the requirement, they are all subject to
internal fragmentation and needing a defragger or cleaner
process in order to deal with the problem.  UFS doesn't
require this.

I wish people would read and understand Donald Knuth's books
on algorithms...

-- Terry