Tuning for PostGreSQL Database

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Jul 22 08:37:50 PDT 2003

On 21 Jul 2003 at 20:35, Jason Stone wrote:

> I feel like this is an extremely important point.  If softupdates changes
> the semantics of sync(2)/fsync(2), then it absolutely has to be off for a
> postgresql server because postgresql counts on fsync in order to make its
> durability guarantees.

If this means all FreeBSD-PostgreSQL users need to change their
setup, we need to do something ASAP.  I'd first recommend getting the
confirmation from the PostgreSQL team, then adjusting the PostgreSQL
documenation and the FreeBSD port.

Does anyone feel this is urgent enough that they'll do something
about it?
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/