Tuning for PostGreSQL Database

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Sun Jul 20 04:25:51 PDT 2003

> > > 	FreeBSD 4.8 or 5.1?
> >
> >   Probably 5.1-RELEASE.
>
> I would recommend 4.8 over 5.1.  Especially if you intend this to be
> a production server.  5.1 is not ready for public consumption.

Public consumption, yes.  Production consumption, no.

5.1 is still pretty crippled in its current state because it's not
Giant free yet.  Once Giant free, however, 5.X will be much closer to
production ready and should be quicker as a result of the fine grained
locking (or so everyone hopes).  The simple locking mechanism in 4.x
does have some advantages in cases and should be a consistent
performer on UP machines and under most loads.... whether or not 5.x
over takes 4.X in terms of speed, is the subject of great debate, but
many are optimistic that it will be at some point, just not at the
moment.  5.X, will however (and without much doubt), scale much better
than 4.X on multiple processor machines, though I'm not sure where
that stands at the moment in terms of being completed and should
likely be directed to current@ or questions@ instead of here.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden