Soft Update - directory/file listing

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Aug 27 23:45:36 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:20:51AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:47:18AM +0300, vezku at surfeu.fi wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm having trouble with slow directory/file listing, which especially
> > noticable with SSH. It can be noticed when doing "ls -l" (UID/GID
> > resolving, sorting)on a directory that has only about 200
> > files/subdirectories.
> > My system is a 5.1-RELEASE, sparc64 on SUN250E (I first asked from the
> > sparc64 list). There are about 5000 accounts on this server.
>
> A quick shot in the dark: is the file listing also slow *without*
> the uid/gid resolving?

Oh, and another one: if the answer to the above is 'yes', then
are those 5000 accounts actually local to the system (stored in
the passwd file/db), or accessed via YP/NIS, LDAP or something similar?

> > The file system does not have Soft Updates enabled. Would this help?
> > Any similar experiences? All hints greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI