Performance tests I did with FreeBSD, Linux and PostgreSQL

Paulo Roberto nirv199 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 10:05:52 PDT 2003

--- Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> Like all benchmarks, I doubt these are perfect (or even close)
> examples
> of real-world use.

Bill,

Quoting your conclusion: "I was extremely disappointed in FreeBSD's
poor showing."

I think you should compare tomatoes to tomatoes. You are comparing
Linux 2.4.20-8 which is a pretty stable release to FreeBSD 5.1, which
by no means has the same maturity (I am pretty sure a flame war might
be started by this point of view, but that's just my opinion). I think
a good approach would be comparing Linux 2.4.20-8 to FreeBSD 4.8 or as
a second option: FReeBSD 5.1 "against" Linux 2.6.0.

Just my 2 cents...

best regards,

Paulo Roberto