Tuning Postgresql on FreeBSD 5.1

Paul Pathiakis paul at pathiakis.com
Tue Aug 26 06:20:05 PDT 2003

Ummm....seriously?   Well, after you get all the marginal parameters on the
compilation and everything else cleared away, you have the "platform of
choice".  This is what development takes place on "in-house" so to speak.
The developers become a lot more familiar through symbiosis with OS
developers and sysadmins.  They get to know a lot more about how to tune and
performance enhance the machines on that platform.  Usually, (not an
absolute, only a fool speaks in absolutes) there's just a lot more understood
about the OS and tuning is at a higher level and performance is better
overall.  (We can split hairs on this philosophy all day, however, this is
just my opinion and response to your query.  I REALLY DON'T want to start a
thread on this.)

Also, thanks to everyone whose responded so far!  I will check on the
starvation aspect, however, I did notice while using systat -vm that there
was no starvation on memory or anything else.  That's why I was concerned as
to why the machine halted/stalled.  I'm turning off HTT now and will see how
it performs.

P.