missing dialogs, openoffice 3.2.1

tom oakes eoakes at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 22:14:28 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have installed openoffice 3.2.1 on Freebsd 8.1 on a computer with the
following hardware:

# Intel Core 2 Duo Dual-Core E6300 2.8GHz 1066MHz 2MB Cache Processor

# ASRock G31M-S R2.0 Core 2 Quad/ Intel G31/ FSB 1600(OC)/ DDR2/ A&V&L/
MATX Motherboard

# 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2-1066 PC2 8500 Dual Channel

# Hitachi / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 3.0Gb/s

160 Gb Disk on  IDE Slave

I added X11, KDE3, emacs, and BASH from ports or packages.

I installed openoffice from the package at:
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD

I  installed the us English dictionary from the OpenOffice site.

I  installed the diablo-jre16 port.

When I open openoffice writer both of the spell check icons displayed.
If I enter a misspelled word it is not underlined. Running the spell
check program returns a dialog with "The spell check is complete", but
the misspelled words do not show up.

When I go to tools/option and select java it says that the "The FreeBSD
Foundation version 1.6.0_07" is installed.
If I select any of the options below java in the options menu I get a
dialog that reads something that starts with something like "This is
where you define  setting ...". There are No options shown, or is it
possible to enter any text.

Is there a bug in the openoffice 3.2.1 package?  If so which package
should I try? Am I missing something that I need to install to get sell
check and the option menus to work.

Thanks for any help you can give

Tom Oakes