Symlink to OpenOffice.org Binary

A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman) nanoman at nanoman.ca
Wed Jan 9 12:00:35 PST 2008

In the OpenOffice.org Makefiles, EXECBASE is set to "openoffice.org-${OOOVERSION}", "openoffice.org-${OOOTAG}", and other variations instead of simply "openoffice.org".  Because of this, to load the program, I have to know what version number I have installed.  For example, to run the latest stable version, I'd have to run "openoffice.org-2.3.1" as opposed to something version independent like "openoffice.org".

I have a number of different keyboard and desktop shortcuts to Writer, Calc, and other tools.  If I made the shortcuts to use the binary that's created when I install the program (openoffice.org-2.3.1, for example), I'd have to update the shortcuts to reflect version number changes when I install a new version.

I assume that developers and testers may have more than one version installed, and they would need EXECBASE to remain as it is.  For the rest of us, it means extra work is needed to update our shortcuts.

My idea is to add something like "@${LN} -fs ${PREFIX}/bin/openoffice.org-${OOOVERSION} ${PREFIX}/bin/openoffice.org" to the Makefiles and put the corresponding symlinks in the pkg-plist files.  Whatever version was installed last would open when you run "openoffice.org", and if you have more than one version installed, you can choose which one to run by adding the version number as a suffix.

Comments, anyone?  Should I go ahead and submit the patches?

--
A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman)     |  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Nanoman's Company           |  \ /   - No HTML/RTF in E-mail