ports/113720: editors/openoffice.org-2.2.0 and 2.2.1 fail afterupgrade of xorg 7.2

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 28 21:17:50 UTC 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007 04:48 pm, Volker wrote:
> On 06/28/07 22:04, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim at FreeBSD.org>
> >> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:05:40 -0400
> >>
> >> I tracked it down and confirmed it is not OpenOffice.org's bug.
> >> Basically you it goes like this: OOo -> GTK+ -> Cairo ->
> >> libX11. :-(  Luckily these issues are fixed in the latest ports.
> >>  So, update your x11/libX11 and graphics/cairo and try again.
> >> It should fix the issue.
> >
> > Wow! That must have been quite a job to track down. Thanks!
> >
> > I can confirm that OOo is operating correctly again on 2 of my
> > systems. I won't be able to check the third until next week, but
> > I feel pretty sure that it will be OK, too.
>
> Updating cairo to at least version 1.4.8_1 fixes this issue.

Correct.  You also need the latest libX11, which includes this fix:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200706220255.l5M2tH83097833

Nate did not update port revision, though.

> But I still wonder why OOo aborted silently w/o core dumping or
> making some noise on stderr. Also gdb hasn't been very helpful for
> this issue.

It does not complain at all unless you turn on debugging option
(WITH_DEBUG) when building it.  gdb does not help much either unless
it core dumps.  Even if it does, it takes serious time to track down
a real culprit for the crash.  I believe that is a design decision,
though.  I mean, it was/is base of a commercial product (StarOffice)
and they decided not to scare its users. :-(

Jung-uk Kim