OpenOffice exits without error on execution with a local display

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 20 11:09:40 PDT 2006

I have a weird problem with OOo and it only shows up on our new
Athlon-64 4400+ based desktops. It appears to happen on all of them. (We
have 7.) All are running FreeBSD 6-Stable updated at various times over
the past few months.

If the X display is local (:0.0) I execute OpenOffice.org (V2.0.1,
2.0.2,2.0.3, or either 2.0.4 release candidate), after a 2 or 3 seconds,
it silently exits and I get a new shell prompt.

If the display is remote via an ssh tunnel (e.g. localhost:10.0), it
works fine. It smells like a race condition, but I am baffled. I have
been trying to look at it with truss when I get a bit of time, but I
have not gotten too far to this point. I can say that it does make it
through the shell scripts and into the binary.

Any ideas on what is going on? I have received a message from one person
at a different site who was seeing the same thing, but I have not
followed up on his hardware/version.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)