2.0 fails to compile on amd64

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sat Aug 19 21:10:05 UTC 2006

Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 15:53 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>>Sean McNeil wrote:
>>
>>>I get the following error:
>>>
>>>In file included from conditn.c:37:
>>>system.h:542: error: conflicting types for 'gethostbyname_r'
>>>/usr/include/netdb.h:228: error: previous declaration of
>>>'gethostbyname_r' was here
>>>dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../../unxfbsdx.pro/obj/conditn.obj'
>>>'---* tg_merge.mk *---'
>>>
>>>ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while
>>>making /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2.0/work/OOD680_m1/sal/osl/unx
>>>dmake:  Error code 1, while making 'build_instsetoo_native'
>>>'---* *---'
>>>*** Error code 255
>>
>>The problem you have (which by the way will only occur with a very
>>recent version of FreeBSD 6.1) was fixed in Openoffice 2.0.3, but when
>>2.0.4.m1 was ported (probably yesterday or today) the porter forgot to
>>carry across the fix.  My plan is to wait until the porter realizes this
>>and fixes it.  The problem is unrelated to amd64.
>

> OK, thanks.  The fix would appear to be fairly obvious in that includes
> of netdb.h should not be done in system.h when the replacement
> gethostbyname_r is used.  I see that there is a direct include and it is
> included again when NETBSD or SCO is defined.  Seems to me the first
> instance should just be removed.
>
> 2.0.4.m1.. is that a development release?  Shouldn't it have been update
> only for -devel?

Well the 2.0.3 did have these particular problems fixed (and if you want
to fix it yourself you should really try to look at the openoffice port
of a few days ago, because there are similar problems with other *_r
functions), but it had some other problem which ended with a kind of
"spinlock" error.  My impression is that this was a very difficult
problem to figure out, and so my guess is that the porter jumped at the
chance when a later version came out, in hope of fixing this.

My impression is that OO is a really hard port to maintain.  When it
works, it works really well, and I do a "make package" as well as "make
install" so that it is easy for me to reinstall at a later date when the
OO port is going through a season of not working.  If you are in need of
a working OO right now try to get a package from somewhere.  I could
even give you mine if you like.

Stephen