openoffice 2.0 RC3 broken SaveAs

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sat Oct 29 18:22:48 PDT 2005

NAKATA Maho writes:

>  > I have the same problem in 2.0 (official release).  Since I
>  > have jdk15 and > firefox, I have to compile WITHOUT_JAVA
>  > (apparently oo2 only works with > jdk14).
>
>  since Hamburg team only interested in jdk1.4, so it is up to
>  us. for example m136 integrates nojava which supports jdk15, 13
>  etc.  but another work needed for FreeBSD...

	Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

	1) OpenOffice 2.0-{RC*, release} will only save in OpenOffice
native (.sx*) and OpenDocument (.od*) formats if compiled with Java.
Otherwise it will only save to MicroSoft and possibly other formats.
	2) In particular, it will only work if compiled with native JDK
1.4.*. JDK 1.3.* and 1.5 are not functional for these purposes.
	3) The OpenOffice developers are on record as having no current
interest in fixing either (1) or (2).

	(1) concerns me greatly.  Both because I think it's a
mind-bogglingly bad decision in its own right, and because I am
unable to get either jdk-1.4 or jdk-1.5 to work.  (Any java wizards
out there want to hear that as a plea for help, go ahead.  I've
asked about this on the Java@ list; the replies have been very
polite, and helpful to the extent of identifying some minor things
that aren't the problem.)

					Robert Huff