problem using openoffice in FreeBSD

Ted Brenner griztown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:42:04 PDT 2005

Hi, I'm trying to get OpenOffice running on my FreeBSD machine.  I
install it no problem, to the point where I can open it then open up
different files.  But I have a problem when I save a Excel spreadsheet
on my desktop or even an SXC spreadsheet and try and open it with
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org.  Basically I right click on the icon
and tell it to open up the file with /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org.
When I try and open it the program soffice hangs and cannot be killed.
 It blocks everything, I literally have to unplug my computer and
restart.  When I do restart openoffice no longer works.

I've discovered that my problem is that instead of trying to open the
spreadsheet with /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org, I should be opening it
with /usr/local/bin/openoffice-1.1.4-scalc.  It seems like the all
encompassing openoffice.org program should work or atleast not hang.

Hope this helps in the development.  Please let me know if I should be
doing something differently.

Thanks,
--
Ted Brenner