Suggestion for Gnome and SESSION_MANAGER var

Keith Beattie KSBeattie at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 27 14:51:43 PDT 2004

Hello,

I built openoffice from the port and it didn't start properly (seg faulted)
until I found the comment in /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README about
problems during start up on Gnome being solved by unsetting the
$SESSION_MANAGER var.  It appears that this was only needed to run the setup
program and isn't needed for running openoffice.

So, I thought I post a note here so others might find the solution more easily
and offer the suggestion that this be handled in the openoffice-wrapper
script. Something like the following:

[ -n ${GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID} ] && unset SESSION_MANAGER

Not knowing much about what either of the vars are used for, or how to easily
know if the setup has been done, this at least would have saved me some time.

Thanks,
ksb