Suggestion for Gnome and SESSION_MANAGER var

Keith Beattie KSBeattie at lbl.gov
Thu Nov 11 13:23:24 PST 2004

On 11/03/04 20:02, NAKATA Maho wrote:
> In Message-ID: <41801754.9000104 at lbl.gov>
> Keith Beattie <KSBeattie at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> Dear Keith,
>

>>I built openoffice from the port and it didn't start properly (seg faulted)
>>until I found the comment in /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README about
>>problems during start up on Gnome being solved by unsetting the
>>$SESSION_MANAGER var.  It appears that this was only needed to run the setup
>>program and isn't needed for running openoffice.
>>
>>So, I thought I post a note here so others might find the solution more easily
>>and offer the suggestion that this be handled in the openoffice-wrapper
>>script. Something like the following:
>>
>>[ -n ${GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID} ] && unset SESSION_MANAGER
>

> yeah your question is good and important one...unfortunately
> i don't know how do we fix this...
> -- NAKATA, Maho

Well, this is a hack (and I haven't had a chance to see if this still happens
with Gnome 2.8) but I was thinking that adding the following (pseudo coded
here) to openoffice-wrapper (which becomes openoffice-1.1.3 when installed):

   if (using gnome && setup hasn't run yet) then unset SESSION_MANAGER

It seems that checking for ${GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID} is a kludgy but
effective way to answer the "using gnome" question.  But I don't know about
the "setup hasn't run yet" part.  Do you know of a way to programatically
determine (in that script) if the setup program has run yet?  If so then I
think we're done.

ksb