[XCIN] Re: Chinese input (using xcin) and OpenOffice on FreeBSD

Robert Klein RoKlein at roklein.de
Sun Apr 4 04:48:57 PDT 2004

Hi, Stephen,

we're down to two glitches now, right?

> Now the abovementioned 'samll bar' was too small and the
> Chinese characters displayed there are hardly read.  Any
> solution to enlarge the said bar.

Somewhere in the file /usr/X11R6/etc/xcinrc there are two lines:

    (FONTSET
"-sony-*-24-*-iso8859-1,-*-medium-r-*-24-*-big5-0")
    (OVERSPOT_FONTSET
"-sony-*-16-*-iso8859-1,-*-medium-r-*-16-*-big5-0")))

If you exchange the "16"s in the second line by "24"s the
characters will be as big as in the root window.  Don't use any
other values than 16 or 24 -- except you really know what you're
doing.

At the same time you could (instead) change the line

(define INPUT_STYLE             '(OverTheSpot Root))

(or similar) to

(define INPUT_STYLE             '(Root OverTheSpot))

and you won't get the small window anymore but an input space in
the root window itself.

> 'kedit' still could not work as described in my previous
> posting even selecting the Chinese fonts by configuring it

Mm... maybe you chose the wrong font?  It should work with both
"AR PL KaitiM Big5" and "AR PL Mingti2L Big5".  I've tested
different fonts a little bit, and on my system additionally all
"Fixed" fonts work, "Mincho" misses some characters (GB font?),
"Ming" works, but is kind of ugly -- but it seems to have both
Big5 and GB characters...

Best Regards,
Robert