Performance difference native/linux OOo1.1

Andy andy at richardflanagan.com.au
Sun Nov 30 15:05:33 PST 2003

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

>On Sunday 30 November 2003 09:59, Nakata Maho wrote:
>

>>Hi, Harald
>>

>>>Hello dear OpenOffice port maintainers,
>>>
>>>I am wondering why there is such a big performance difference between the
>>>linux and the native OpenOffice version on FreeBSD 5.2-beta (i386).
>>>For example starting the native OO takes about 30 seconds, where the
>>>Linux version takes about 5 seconds.
>>>
>>>If some of you speak german please also have a look at:
>>>http://www.bsdforen.de/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2177
>>>

>>Hmm I don't understand German...sad.
>>Anyway it takes about 10 seconds for me to start OOo
>>Pentium 4B, 2.4G...
>>

>Eh, we don't have that fast machines;)
>The conclusion of the german thread is that there are lots of people
>confirming that enormuous difference.
>Don't know about their machines, I'm talking about 1,1Celeron,i815,256MB,IDE
>But it doesn' matter how long it takes to start, the emu-port is MUCH faster.
>I heard that it's also true for operation, but I haven't tried.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Harry
>

>>--mah

Hiya all

Just thought I would chuck in my two cents as well, I also run OOo on
FreeBSD, and I have it on a windows machine - there seems to be a large
performance diff there too, maybe it's the versions I am running, and
the PC's are pretty outdated (both P2's but the BSD box has 256 RAM, and
the doze box only has 64 - still noticebly faster.) Love OOo, I find it
to be far superior to MS (specially as the new veresion opens Office XP
with little or no loss of formatting, which seems to be one nobody else
has been able to do) great for a business environment, not knocking it
one bit, hoping this info may be of value to someone.

Andy