problems with ODBC(Postgres) with StarOffice 6.0

fkittred at gwi.net fkittred at gwi.net
Wed Aug 13 10:59:19 PDT 2003

FreeBSD OS 4.8-stable
StarOffice 6.0
Postgres-odbc 7.2.5
iodbc 3.0.5

Hello;

	I am back to using StarOffice 6.0 due to an inability to
build any recent versions of OpenOffice.  But that is not what this
message is about.  It is about trying to access a remote postgres
database from StarOffice via ODBC.

I installed /usr/ports/databases/postgres-odbc which in turn installed
iodbc.  After a half day of futzing around, I got a ~/.odbc.ini that
worked at least with the libiodbc-3.0.5/samples/odbctest program.  I
can connect via odbc to the remote database.  However, when I start
soffice, go to Tools->Data Sources, select database type of "ODBC" and
then try to browse, I get "Could not load the program library
libodbc.so or it is corrupted".  I have created symlinks to
"/usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.so" called /usr/lib/libodbc.so and
/usr/local/lib/libodbc.so.  Neither seemed to work.

Any suggestions?

regards,
fletcher