Boost port change: for clang, switch from pth to pch

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 9 23:22:48 UTC 2014

Dear boost port maintainers,

I'm working on importing clang 3.4 into head.  This turns up some nasty
problems in the way devel/boost-libs is using clang's -emit-pth
precompiled headers feature:

http://package18.nyi.freebsd.org/bulk/head-default-pr_185430/2014-01-23_06h38m38s/logs/errors/boost-libs-1.52.0_2.log

E.g. clang crashes fairly randomly on its own .pth files.  I have been
informed by the upstream authors that this is more or less expected, as
clang's -emit-pth and -include-pth features have never worked entirely
correctly, and are basically abandoned by upstream.  They will most
likely be removed in a future clang release.

Instead, we should use -emit-pch and -include-pch, which are more
robust.  I have attached a patch for boost's clang-linux.jam, which
essentially does s/pth/pch/g, and that makes boost-libs compile
successfully with clang 3.4 for me, at least on i386 and amd64.

I should probably also send this upstream, but I would really like to
get this patch into the port, as I plan on doing the clang 3.4 import
somewhere in the coming week.

-Dimitry