LibreOffice 4.0.5 and --headless

ken ken at idealinter.net
Thu Sep 26 14:02:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to bother you with this question, but I'm trying to
get libreoffice to convert .odt files into .pdf files and I'm starting
to think that the FreeBSD port of libreoffice doesn't support
"--headless".

Can you please confirm whether or not this is the case?

Here's a quick summary of what I've done:

* I put "WITHOUT_X11=yes" in /etc/make.conf

* I built libreoffice from the ports tree

I placed a test document, test.odt, in my home directory and run:

/usr/local/bin/soffice --headless --nofirststartwizard --invisible
--convert-to pdf test.odt

It processes the file and outputs the .pdf file as it should, but it
hangs after printing:

"convert /usr/home/kebling/test.odt -> /usr/home/kebling/test.pdf using
writer_pdf_Export"

During the conversion (or while it's hung), if I run "ps wwaux | grep
office" I will see "soffice.bin" and "oosplash" running:

kebling    40984   4.9  6.3 338124 65212  3  SL+   8:54AM    0:00.65
/usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin --nologo --headless
--nofirststartwizard --invisible --nolockcheck --norestore --convert-to
pdf test.odt
kebling    40978   0.0  0.3  22472  2948  3  S+    8:53AM    0:00.06
/usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash --nologo --headless
--nofirststartwizard --invisible --nolockcheck --norestore --convert-to
pdf test.odt

The convert command will hang indefinitely after outputting the .pdf
file until I ctrl-c it or kill the oosplash process.

It's my understanding that the "--headless" flag should prevent oosplash
from ever starting, so seeing it running makes me think that
"--headless" isn't working properly or that the FreeBSD port doesn't
support it.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you may be able to offer
regarding this issue.

Thank you for your time,

Ken Ebling