glibc math improvements

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sun Jan 4 04:37:53 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 10:00:58PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> This blog post was covered by Phoronix:
> http://developerblog.redhat.com/2015/01/02/improving-math-performance-in-glibc/ <http://developerblog.redhat.com/2015/01/02/improving-math-performance-in-glibc/>
>
> Not sure any of that stuff is applicable to our implementation but it looks like an interesting link to share nevertheless.

AFAICT, it is not applicable.   The improvements are in
a 768-bit multi-precision computation of pow() to get an
accurate answer.  The article mentions that the technique
may be applied to exp() and log(), but the table-driven
methods that Bruce, David, and I used for logl, expl, and
exp2l are quite accurate (somewhere around ulp < 0.55 or so).

--
Steve