standards/175811: libstdc++ needs complex support in order use C99

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Thu May 30 17:13:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:41:24AM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> I may be wrong but with long double support people that
> need erfcl() and tgamma() can get them from boost.
> The problem is therefore not implementing everything but
> getting enough to turn on the features supported by
> libstdc++ and boost.

Of course, you're wrong. :-) :-) <-- Note smileys.

C99 defines many long double functions.  Anyone wanting
to use C and libm, and not C++ and boost, will need
quality implementations of these functions.  Of course,
the lack of any actual C99 compiler tends to dampen
this argument.

What I find appalling is reading "people are tired
of the situation with libm, so I'm  going to commit
some atrocious hack".   The proper response should be
"so I'm going to help implement and test the missing
functionality".  It's unfortunate that only a few
individuals are working to fix libm, but such is
life.

--
Steve