Filesystem trouble

Eirik Finne eiriks_finne at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:44:20 PST 2005

Hi,

I recently had a strange crash on my Dell Inspirion 9100 running FreeBSD 5.3
stable. I'm using Gnome 2.8 and gdm. I was logged in as root and when I
logged out instead of being greeted by the gdm login screen I got an error
"gdm has repeatedly failed to start X". Switching to ttys1 in the wane hope
of getting a terminal login I saw another error saying "Getty getting too
many repeats on ttys1 sleeping for 30 sec" or something like that. This is
when I rebooted the system.
When the system booted I got the following: "libexec libetid.4.so not found"
type the full path to your shell or press Enter for /bin/sh. I then switched
to /rescue/sh. After mounting / I discover that /lib was missing and /usr
and /var were present but empty!
No logs no nothing :(
I then ran fsck -f and when it ran trough ad03e /usr and ad03f /var it
reported tons of files present and in use. It didn't give any errors. But I
can't see any of the files in these directories.
Any Ideas how to proceed from here?

Best Regards,

Eirik Sveen Finne