2 newb questions

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Tue Mar 22 16:18:48 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:10:24 +0100
Anon <goatse at Phreaker.net> wrote:

> Hi im running freebsd 5.3 and I have some questions:
>
> 1. how do I log ssh login attempts to a file? say /var/log/auth I have
>  read syslogd man page and I dont get it at all

i'm using openssh-portable from ports, and it works fine,
perhaps you need this in sshd_config as default ?

SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

> 2. how do I get some kind of a system that "warns" me when a port is
> old  (there is a new in cvs database), example: I want to get an email
> when a  new version of the port "firefox" comes out

this is a possible script to use :

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/portsclean -CD
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/bin/ports-supfile
# /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -uU
# changed this (line above) because making the INDEX takes really long
cd /usr/ports/
make fetchindex
# these last 2 lines needs to be 1 line :
/usr/local/sbin/portversion -v | /usr/bin/grep needs | /usr/bin/mail -s
"Ports die niet up to date zijn" your at emailaddress.nu