Using CVS for a project on a 5.3 box

steve steve at digitalbluesky.net
Fri Mar 18 08:52:58 PST 2005

Hi,

I've been running a FreeBSD 5.3 box at home for a couple monthes and I'm
using it to host some webpages for myself and friends.  I do some php
programming and I'm working on a project and for the first time I want to
use CVS.

CVS is installed on my box, but I don't know how to run it.  Does CVS run as
a service like apache or mysql?  If so, how do I start it?

Also, where do people typically install a project cvsroot?  The programming
project has it's own user account on the box where the latest version of the
code runs as a webpage.  So for example:

/home/st4nk/st4nk-www/  <- (apache virtual directory to serve up latest php
code)

so could I just create a directory:

/home/st4nk/cvs

And make that the master respository for the project?  When I work on the
project files I may or may not log into the box as user st4nk...that
shouldn't matter, correct?

Steve
www.digitalbluesky.net