Configuration of current kernel

h p regnans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:30:10 PST 2005

> Firstly, this really isn't the right list for these questions. You should
> be sending them to freebsd-questions at freebsd.org instead.
>
> However, I'll do my best to help you out.

You did great, thank you.

[...]
> When you compile a kernel, it's a bit different to Linux, in that EVERY
> kernel module gets compiled and can (usually) be kldloaded later. This
> means that the compile takes a bit longer but you often don't have to
> recompile to add things like new sound cards or network cards.

I see. That isn't documented in the handbook, is it? I like the
concept, though. And the module loading seems to work flawlessly, in
contrast to my experiences on Linux. I only had a couple of days with
FreeBSD though. ;-)

[...]
> I'm aware that the above doesn't make a whole heap of sense, particularly
> if you come from a Linux kernel background. I learned FreeBSD first, and I
> think it will probably help if you can forget everything you think that
> you know about compiling kernels.
Sometimes I think nothing ever makes a lot of sense, it's all just
conventions. You just have to be pointed to the right conventions...