Any thoughts on Graphical install UI?

Olivier Gautherot olivier at gautherot.net
Thu Mar 10 06:19:06 GMT 2005

> >Many Linux flavors both commericial and free have attractive UIs for
> >installation and package selection, and even to some degree partitioning
> >and formatting of hard drives.
> >
> >Is there any thought of doing this for FreeBSD?  Having an attractive
> >UI, ala Fedora and/or gentoo would definately help attract more novice
> >users to the FreeBSD world.

> The installer for FreeBSD is very configurable.  Because of
> this, it can be daunting for a new user.  I've written up a
> procedure, that when taken step-by-step will get you a running
> system in minimal time:
> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/
>
> Just about everyone complains about sysinstall, but it does
> work, so there hasn't been much movement there.

WD, thanks for this tutorial. If I can suggest something, add a section about
CUPS and the printer database (I was missing a link that caused no printer to
appear in kprinter...)

Joaquin, to come back to sysinstall, it does its job even on a 386 and a raw
VGA card. It may sound like Cro-Magnon technology but is still used in the
industry... I was surprised too when I first ran it but it does its job.
Anyway, a text-based install makes sense: BSD is a console-level system, on
top of which runs an X server (at least for desktops). X is not part of the
base system. sysinstall could be "dressed up" using curses to simulate a
graphics install but what would it buy us?

My cent worth ;-)
 Olivier