Recommendations for PCI video card

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Jan 22 21:11:17 PST 2005

OK, I know this is an open-ended subject, but here goes ...

I'm hoping to find something decent as a ... PCI video card. I have a
mobo with an AGP slot, but it's currently taken by an ATI Radeon 9600XT
which works ok for 2d in FreeBSD, but it doesn't use the onboard
memory, which slows things down considerably. I want to keep the ATI
card for Windows games, otherwise I'd replace it with something
different. I'm not entirely sure what the chipsets were in some of the
older cards, and video cards seem to be hit and miss, so is there
anyone who could give a recommendation for a decent PCI card that works
reliably on FreeBSD? Decent meaning, can handle 3d and has enough
memory for a workstation, but is not a gaming card by today's standards
(although probably no PCI card is anymore).

- jt