HELP: video for VIA/S3G CLE266

Tom Huppi thuppi at huppi.com
Tue Jan 18 12:22:05 PST 2005

For the record...

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Tom Huppi wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Joaquin Menchaca wrote:

<snip>

> > Would I have to get the latest xorg + these drivers with some sort of
> > package manager?  How can I tell the current version of Xorg that I am
> > running?  Could I just compile these drivers?  If so, how do I get them
> > to work, and how do I get it into the system so that I can select them?

> I just built and installed xorg from the ports collection to try
> to get rid of all references to 'libc_r' which was crashing
> certain applications on my 5.3 system (upgraded from 5.1 via
> buildworld.)  It was not too bad...just took a long time on my old
> machine.  I suggest (if using 'ports' rather than 'packages') that
> one maybe does a 'cd ...x11/xorg make', then after it builds
> sucessfully pkg_delete the XFree86 stuff, then go back and 'make
> install'.  This will allow normal use of the machine for the day
> or so it takes to build xorg.

This appears to be bad advice.  I just tried it on my third
machine and it seems that XOrg is perfectly happy with 'libX11'
from the old XFree86 installation (with regard to satisfying it's
dependencies.)

> Since this wasn't the route I took I can't say conclusivly that
> it would work, but I think it should be fine.

As I say, *it wasn't*.  Maybe with some other trickery it would
be, but there is something to be said for keeping it simple.
FWIW, I was able to use my machine for many hours (in an xwindows
environment (with plenty of swapping!)) after pkg_delete'ing
XFree86*...it's just that I couldn't open any new windows, and my
browser crashed pretty quickly.

I Just thought I should clear this up since at least one person
(me!) gets a lot of info by searching google, and it's nice to see
notes like this.

Thanks,

 - Tom