HELP: how to enable telnet?

Joaquin Menchaca linuxuser at finnovative.net
Mon Jan 17 13:01:57 PST 2005

Hi,

Just some questions about telnet.  I just installed FreeBSD.  I want to
setup so that I can telnet into it and do some work on it (as it'll be
the server for the house)

Anyhow.  Are these the steps?

   (1) enable inetd
   (2) enable telnet in inetd
   (3) start inetd process

The handbook (4th edition) stated that inetd is disabled for security
purposes? Why is that?  What are the risks?

Is there a way to restrict telnet access from certain IPs?  Do I need
xinetd? Does FreeBSD come with xinetd?

How about IPSec? Is IPSec supported in FreeBSD?  Could I put a IPSec for
telnet port for a range of addresses?  Docs on it?

  -- Joaquin Menchaca