startx problem

Michael A. Thissell w75xw at vzpacifica.net
Sat Jan 8 14:12:24 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:00 +0000, Emon wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am a newbie. I have just Installed FreeBSD 5.3  and I am
> trying to get X started. But after typing "Xorg -configure" I
> got the following error
>
> **************************
> Fatal server error:
>
> xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O
> ***************************

Instead of typing "Xorg -configure" .....

Please try typing "xorgconfig" after logging onto your system.

This is a text-based configuration file that will allow you to set up
your hardware and tune it for your own use.  This configuration file
will ask you questions about your hardware and give you a chance to pick
an appropriate answer based on what you have installed in your computer.

The final question asks if you want the program to write an xorg.conf
file to /etc/X11.  Please answer "yes" to that question.

You can cd to /etc/X11 anytime and edit the the xorg.conf file if
necessary.  I have a mouse with a wheel.  The original probing did not
pick up the wheel configuration, so I went into the xorg.conf file and
added those parameters to the mouse section.  Now, the wheel works fine.

FIRST THING TO DO:  Look at the Handbook

Please look at the FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter 5 - The X Window System.
The authors have done an excellent job of explaining how to get a
desktop working with plenty of examples.  Even I could follow it.  :-)

mike