RE²:FreeBSD is dangerous!

albi albi at scii.nl
Tue Feb 8 03:42:19 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:37:53PM +0100, Fabrice wrote:

> Anybody with a FreeBSD install CD can modify my beloved data I store in my
> debian Linux partitions.

anyone with physical access to your computer can do that with a Linux-cd too

> Of course with a Linux rescue floppy is it possible to behave same naughty
> way...
> But, as I told to Joshua Tinnin :
> "If I remember when I mounted a Linux partition - for example a Debian one -
> on the ext2/3 filesystem of another Linux or Knoppix, it was only possible to
> read, not to write on it. But a vfat filesystem could be mounted on R/W mode."

afaik Knoppix mounts partitions by default read-only if you use the icons on
the desktop (take a look at the /etc/fstab), but if you manually do :
a) sudo su -
b) mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
it will mount it read-write (!)

> but nobody helped me about this... Please Albi, can you explain to me how to
> mount the FreeBSD partition on my ext2 or 3 filesystems ?

an example (with /dev/hda1) how to mount a FreeBSD-slice from Linux :
mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/hda1 /mnt/FreeBSD

you should find out which slice in FreeBSD has the info you'd like to see in
Linux

maybe it's interesting for you to look at disk-encryption in either
FreeBSD or Linux, there's a section about it (for 5.x ?) in the FreeBSD handbook :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

but of course you can start putting a password for the BIOS after disabling
booting from cdrom and floppy (network etc.)

HTH