Installing FreeBSD

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Feb 2 14:59:18 PST 2005

Fredrik Petersson wrote:

>Hi all!
>I have a old computer, I thought it was perfect for testings some FreeBSD
>on. (Im a linux user, noramly).

I've never tried to run a box with "noram", and wasn't aware that
Linux could do that.  Cool!

</rimshot>

{I'm really *not* picking on ya!}

>It is a old dell 500MHz with a 40GB disk, the "disk-part" of the
>installation program told me something about the bios and that y disk size
>wasn´t correct, I continued and I created /var / /dev /usr partitions in the
>installing program, but later the installation program tells me something
>like could not mount /usr (and all the other mounting points).
>
>Are ideas about where to start the troubleshooting??

Hmm, wonder what the BIOS thinks the drive is?

Like Randy said, you might try the defaults.  Or, at the very
least, make only /, /usr, and /var.  IANAE, but I've never seen
anyone recommend making a seperate slice for /dev, and I
wonder what trying to do so might do.  It could create the
symptoms you describe, of course, but I could just be blowing
smoke, too.

The message you refer to has do to with disk geometry, and
indicates to me that you're installing a 5.X FBSD; devfs is a
new thing, and may be involved in the problem you describe.

Once again, IANAE, and the other poster also has a great
point --- this sort of thing is better asked at questions@,
where large numbers of people (some of whom are very
knowledgeable and/or experienced) will see the post and
be able to either guide you in this matter or correct anyone
who does and makes a mistake in so doing (the "IANAE" types
like me ;)

Kevin Kinsey