How do you reply to a tread?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Fri Nov 26 10:12:41 PST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:33:42 -0800
Darren Kirby <bulliver at badcomputer.no-ip.com> wrote:

> quoth the Doug Van Allen:
> > Everytime I try to answer someones question or respond to someone in
> > my thread, it doesn't go under the original.  Instead it is crated as
> > a new seperate thread.  I read some FAQ about it and all I could have
> > been doing wrong was not adding RE in the subject.  I have been doing
> > that anyways.
>
> I think it is dependant on your mailer software. Personally I use kmail, which
> has an option for mailing lists - to respond to the mailing list by default
> rather than the original poster.
>
> Have a look at the options in your mailer and see if there isn't something
> similar.

Each mail message is supposed to have a unique message id.
Yours (Doug) has:

When you reply the MUA should put that ID into a header like Darren's
does:
and references, like below.

My email will have
> In-Reply-To <200411260933.42251.bulliver at badcomputer.no-ip.com>
(Darren's msg id) and both Darren's and yours as references:
	<200411260933.42251.bulliver at badcomputer.no-ip.com>

Etc.

Now your MUA should look at those and make up the threads.

Check the headers and see if your MUA generates the In-Reply-To and
References; if not there's the problem and it breaks threading for
everyone; if it does, then it's only a local display problem.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"