periodic 800.loginfail problems

Ron Gilbert lists at rzweb.com
Wed Nov 24 07:32:27 PST 2004

The script /etc/periodic/security/800.loginfail seems to have some
problems, or something else on my system is interfering with it.

The problem seems to be the catmsgs() function returns the contents of
the auth.log file without any EOL's, so the following grep:

grep -ia "^$yesterday.*(fail|illegal user)"

fails due to the ^ anchor condition never being met.

Is there something set on my system that is causing this?  Or is this a
general bug, or is it not a bug at all?

Is there a better place to be asking these questions?

Thanks, Ron