pkg_add -r gimp fails

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Nov 12 10:17:07 PST 2004

Andy Hochhaus wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am a convert from debian trying to install the gimp package from the
>Internet. However my installation attempt fails with the following
>output:
>
>d0a1fb53# pkg_add -r gimp
>Error: FTP Unable to get
>ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/gimp.tbz:
>File name not allowed
>pkg_add: unable to fetch
>'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/gimp.tbz'
>by URL
>

>I was able to install the package using ports with the following commands:
>
>d0a1fb53# cd /usr/ports/graphics/gimp
>d0a1fb53# make install clean
>
>What am I doing wrong when trying to install the package?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

Hi, Andy:

You will always be advised to send technical ?? of this nature to the
questions@ list, instead of newbies, so consider this brief paragraph
one of "compliance" with the list charter.

I'm not sure we have enough detail to know exactly what may have
happened; "File name not allowed" means at least two things off the
top of my head (which isn't that good of one, BTW) :  Either you weren't
UID zero at the time, or your package tools are old enough that they
don't know what to do with *tbz files --- I can't remember at what point
the Project changed, but an older pkg_add looked for *gz, IIRC ....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey