how to start X11R6

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Tue Nov 2 20:19:14 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 22:09, Bryan E. Henning wrote:
> After I boot freebsd, and I login what do I do to start gnome or xfree86
> Exactly what are the commands to start an application. I can browse directories but so  far that is the extent of what I know how to do. Could anyone help?
>
> Bryan E. Henning

To start Gnome, create a file called ".xinitrc" in the root of your home
directory that contains "exec gnome-session", and run the command
"startx".

Eg:

cat >.xinitrc
gnome-session
(type control-D to end the input here)
startx

To run kde, replace "gnome-session" by "startkde".

For much more detail, try the handbook at
file:///usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html
or on www.freebsd.org

Finally, please post questions like this on freebsd-questions.  I will
almost certainly get criticised by others for answering on newbies!
Good luck with FreeBSD.