Real BSD Newbie

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon Mar 22 17:29:34 PST 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 05:11 pm, Gary Stewart wrote:
> Hello group,
> My name is Gary and I am so new I haven't even started using it. I am
> just looking into it. I use Linux-Mandrake right now. BSD intrigues
> me though, I understand (tell me if I am wrong) that you can run
> different OS programs as if they are native.

You can use most Linux programs as if they were native. Currently I am
using native Linux Acrobat Reader and Netscape with no problems at all.
Install them through ports and they just work. I understand that SCO
binaries work as well, but I can't imagine that you would want to :-P

> As I move on in my learning of BSD you may hear a lot from me :-)

Welcome to the club. Just remember that this is not the list for
technical or installation questions. Send them to -questions instead.
Read the Handbook and FAQ (or at least the parts that are relevant to
you). They are very well written.

David