openssl upgrade confusion

Ash Gokhale ash.gokhale at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 18 11:08:36 PST 2004

	Backup, and overwrite the base library!  Build it with the same target
options that the os uses. If you are after a new version of the library
that is symbol compatible; it's probably not worth have the old lib to
fall back to .  OpenSSL bugs are the kind of thing that get your system
OwnZ3d; you want the later version unless your are testing exploits.

	On the other hand this approach doesn't play nice with the freebsd
configuration management structure; where all the customizations live
in /usr/local and don't get overwritten with make world.  If you are
trying to get _all_ the angels on one pinhead you can try going after
ld.so's  runtime configuration, specifically:
man ld.so (whack) /LD_LIB (whack) =
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH    A colon separated list of directories,
overriding the
                         default search path for shared libraries.  This
is
                         ignored for set-user-ID and set-group-ID
programs.
and

       LD_PRELOAD         A list of shared libraries, separated by
colons and/or
                         white space, to be linked in before any other
shared
                         libraries.  If the directory is not specified
then the
                         directories specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH will be
                         searched first followed by the set of built-in
stan-
                         dard directories.  This is ignored for
set-user-ID and
                         set-group-ID programs.

You can use this to conceal the system's libcrypto from your app.

Parting shot:
DO check the MD5sum for the SSL package. It hasn't been trojaned; yet.

Ash.Gokhale at noaa.gov
System Administration Lead,
NOAA/MDL