Drivers floppy for FreeBSD 4.10 - Need xl(4) driver to do FTP install...from floppies

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Jul 17 07:22:04 PDT 2004

Dominic Caffey wrote:

>Dear FreeBSD Newbies,
>
>     I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.10 via FTP.
> I downloaded the fixit, kern & mfsroot floppies
>and feed them to the machine as they're
>requested.  Problem is that when I get to the
>kernel modules configuration, there is no driver
>for my network card, 3Com3c905 PCI.  I checked
>the hardware notes at
>http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/hardware-i386.html
>and
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=xl&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+4.10-RELEASE
>and the card I'm trying to use is definitely
>supported but I see no way to make it available
>to the installation process and I couldn't find a
>drivers floppy for the 4.10 release.  How do I
>make the "xl(4)" driver available to the install
>process?  A little guidance or referral to a faq
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,

First off, I'll cover my butt:  This is the "newbies"
list, not the "questions" list, so you should really
send your questions over there, where you'll have
a much better chance of getting an answer (it might
even be correct!)

I've been away for a few days, but didn't
see a reply to your message to the list.  The
"Kernel Configuration" is basically a legacy
screen for legacy hardware.  The xl(4) driver
is built into the GENERIC kernel, and you have
no need to do anything during setup to enable
the card.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.