Regarding FreeBSD Custom Kernel

bsd hack time_to_hack at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 09:12:41 PDT 2004

Hi All,
      I have a few basic questions regarding building a custom Kernel:

(1) Once I configure, make and make install the custom kernel... it will get written to /boot/kernel. Now I have already made a backup of the working kernel.  what I need to know is when I get the boot loader menu(when it counts from 1 to 10) is there any way in which I can Include another option for my Custom Kernel. I want the default to remain as the working kernel... and I want an option for my Custom kernel in the menu...

(2) Secondly I dont understand the boot prompt and the loader prompt completely. at the boot prompt I guess I can specify the kernel I want to load. So lets say I have my custom kernel in the directory /boot/mydir/custom-kernel. so how do I specify at the boot prompt or the loader prompt to load the custom kernel

(3) And finally I had downloaded the source code of freeBSD and I configured, did a make and a make install without making any changes ...(Just to get it started!) ... when I rebooted the system it failed to recognize the disk and so I reinstalled FreeBSD again...( hadnt enabled any debug options so could not recover any information!!)... Is there anything that "HAS" to be done before installing the new kernel?

any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
HKR