Realtek RTL-8139 Nic & FreeBSD 5.2.1 Install

Eric Toll etoll at vipstructures.com
Mon Jul 12 09:53:01 PDT 2004

What does ifconfig say from prompt?  I assume you have a DHCP server or have manually typed in the IP address for your FreeBSD machine. Perhaps it's a DNS issue.  Ping www.yahoo.com from another machine (NOT all "world" or
Internet hosts allow ping or ICMP - yahoo does) Note the IP address that your other machine resolves www.yahoo.com into.  Take this IP number and try pinging it?
Try and ping your router or def gate from the BSD box. . .

You state your router goes from green to orange,  there may also be an incorrect speed/duplex negotiation going on somewhere.

I have always had good luck with 3com cards.

HTH
Eric