Problem installing FreeBSD after Linux

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Fri Feb 13 10:17:52 PST 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 08:52 pm, Lee Hanxue wrote:

> I have 1 primary partition, containing 4 extended partitions.
> Mandrake Linux 9.2 is installed over there. Using fdisk in FreeBSD
> installer, I created another primary partition and tried installing
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 there.
>
> Unfortunately, the installation process got hung while the installer
> was "Creating a root filesystem on ad10s3". I waited for more than 3
> hours. I selected none when I was prompted to install a boot manager,
> since I wanted to boot using Grub which is already there when I
> install Linux.

I don't know what you did wrong, but please redirect your question to
the -questions list. Also include some more information on your
harddrive partitioning.

"ad10s3" seems extremely unusual. In FreeBSD parlance, it means the
third primary partition on the *tenth* ATA drive. If you mistyped, and
meant "ad1s3", make sure this is the third partition BEFORE any
extended partitions (which should always be the last).

David