Installing Samba.

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:17:41 PST 2004

On Feb. 05, 2004 "Mark Weisman" <mark at mystic1.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have the HOWTO to install Samba on a 5.1-Release box? I keep
>getting errors on the install of Samba in regards to locating and
>installing png-12.5_2 and cups-base-1.1.18.0-5 that regardless whether I
>use CD or FTP, or the ports says error loading and installing dependency
>files. Any advice?

To fix:

cvsup your ports (or ftp the tarball, if you prefer, from one of the
mirrors).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

If the problem still exists, then write the port maintainer about the
problem.
(A more recent copy of the Makefile on my system looks like at least the
cups-base port is properly pulled in.)

For more information regarding the ports system and installing software:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Using the 2.2.8a package from ftp works here, though I have recent copies
of both dependencies installed here.

Or, workaround:

Install the dependencies manually. (not sure if they're on the release.)
(In ports, print/cups-base and graphics/png.)

Packages on ftp are for later releases.

I'm not sure if it will work and leaves you with possible bugs; I recommend
the first course of action.

HTH,
Clayton Rollins