newbie questions

Radu MOLNAR taipan at hawat.cc.ubbcluj.ro
Wed Apr 7 05:02:49 PDT 2004

Just some stupid newbie questions:
1) I have an alias made in my .profile alias vi='/usr/local/bin/vim' but
the alias is not made when i log in X. If a log in console or using ssh
from a remote host the alias is made but when i log in x it is not.
Anybody know why? As shell i use bash.

2)In /etc/syslogd.conf i have comented the line
#*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit         /dev/console
so that i wouldn't get any logs on my first console. But there are some
logs that get printed on the first console. They're printed in bright
white :) and they appear for example when someone tries to scan for opened
ports on my computer. My question is who makes these logs?