Lost-Need Help on Ports, Packages, CVSup, and AnonCVS

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at oisca.org
Sun Jul 27 21:27:59 PDT 2003

Dear Friends,

I do not know if this is the right place to ask but since I am a Newbie I thought I should start looking for answers here and maybe move on to wherever you might be able to guide me...

I am trying to configure my system that I can be able to input Japanese Characters in my system...

I read in David Thiel's page (http://redundancy.redundancy.org/fbsd_japanese.html) on how to do things...in his page were instructions to compile files needed to accomplish my needs.

I was able to compile "Canna" and "Eterm" using my Ports but when I tried to compile "kinput2-canna," there was an Error Code 1 and gave me advice to download the package and compile it...I downloaded the package but when I use pkg_add a warning said the it needs a "fontconfig.2.2.1" package as one of it's dependent...So I downloaded the said package and I tried to compile it...but it says that an older package "fontconfig.2.2.0" is already installed...when I tried to pkg_delete it...it said that it is needed by other programs so it can not be deleted...unfortunately this is the end of the line for me...I am afraid that I do not know what to do next...

With regards to CVSup and AnonCVS, I tried to use CVSup once but it seems to me that this is quite difficult for me at present...due to my little knowledge on everything or shall I say Unix...I have read in the Handbook that there is another option for me to get my ports updated...which is AnonCVS...I have not thoroughly read it yet but I have already decided to try it and if I get right I might move ahead in using CVSup in the future...

I am sorry that this has turned out to be a long Email...I hope to hear from anyone who can give me comments, advices, or help regarding this matter...

Thank you very much..

Rommel B. Ikeda