Recommended reading: FreeBSD for production server use

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 18 22:20:39 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, 16 July 2003 at 12:42:21 -0700, Johnson David wrote:

>> I too am looking for a resource which would tell me what the day to
>> day tasks are for administering a system.  What logs do I need to
>> look in, what files do I need to clean, etc...  I find a lot of books
>> on administration and all talk about tools to be used, but I would
>> also like to know what kind of schedule, files, need to be looked at
>> regularly.  That is where administration rubber meets the road.
>
> Try "Unix System Administration", from O'Reilly. It's a huge book but
> it's very readable and covers FreeBSD. But it's not a "cookbook", in
> that it won't give you recipes for success. You will need to apply the
> principles you've learned by yourself. After all, every system is
> different.

Most people I know have a better opinion of "UNIX System
Administration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass and Hein,
published by Prentice Hall.  It covers an older version of FreeBSD,
but a lot of the material is still very relevant.

Greg